Tuesday, July 9, 2013

In Which This Girl Is On Fire.

The time is here! The weather has finally heated up. This has been great for my weekend outdoor activities and terrible for my runs. I am not a morning person, and therefore do not get up well to beat the heat and do my run at 6 am. (In fact, I've missed running group two weeks in a row because sleeping in on Saturdays is awesome.) I always do my run later in the day, but we are getting to the point where this is unbearable.

All this hot hot heat has made me think about how lucky I am. Lucky to be able to go for a walk, to the beach, or the zoo on weekends and enjoy it. Lucky to get back indoors where I have a window AC unit. (Not the height of glamour, I'll admit, but many don't even have that!) And lucky to have fresh water, which I drink all day every day. 

There's nothing better than coming back from a run and having a tall one, or an ice cold one after a hot outing on a Sunday, or even just re hydrating after a normal day of work. It feels good! It makes my body feel happy.

And then I think of the 1.1 billion people around the world who lack access to clean drinking water. Of the 4,200 children who die each day from dirty water. And it makes me super sad. Maybe this video will help you imagine what our world would be like if this were the case here in the US. (I don't know about you, but that video grossed me out in a big way.)

To be honest, my motivation for running has been tough to find the last week or so, but thinking about how I can impact with this global problem by fundraising and running has really helped to push me out the front door. If you want to learn more about this issue please visit Team World Vision's Website. If you are able, please donate either by clicking the link in the "my pages" section, or by clicking here. I am eternally grateful for the all the support you have been giving me in my effort to change the world.

The other day as I walked home in the 85 degree heat I stepped through a sprinkler that was watering the sidewalk (the sidewalk people! That's how lucky we are!) It felt deliciously cold and refreshing, and while I felt a little guilty, it also reminded me how appreciative people will be when we help bring water to their area. Don't believe me? Just look at this smile!



No comments:

Post a Comment