Monday, June 17, 2013

Tricks and Tips

Hidee ho, friends! Last week was my first week of "official" training. That means two regular runs, one day a really hard run, and another long run. Plus cross training. This week was a doozy, but I've developed some tricks and tips for anyone who wants to know "how you do it."

1) Make a list of things you like about it! Stop focusing on the negatives (It's hot! It dehydrates me! It makes my feet hurt!) and stop to appreciate the things that are great about it. Mine include that it gets me closer to nature (in Chicago! That's hard!) and helps me to explore my neighborhood and my city.

2) Change it up! Change your route, which helps with exploring your neighborhood from the previous tip, and your types of runs too. Our hard runs mean we can pick a hilly course, run all out, do sprints with breaks, or "fartlek" which are intervals of harder and slower running. On cross training days I alternate between activities  that I really love, like bike riding and circuit training, and swimming. Then my cross training days are like rewards! Changes keep you from getting bored or noticing that you're miserable (and keep your body changing too).

3) Find a buddy! I employ this in several ways. I have a friend who I call my "accountabilibuddy." She doesn't live in this city, but we both try to be fit and healthy. If I really don't want to do a workout, I'll call or text, and she'll remind me what I'll gain from it. (Self esteem, strength, being able to RUN A MARATHON). I have another friend here who goes on runs and bike rides with me. And the more I talk about this experience, the more I meet and discover new people that are willing to be running buddies. It's great!

4) Make it social! This sounds similar to the last one, but our charity does long runs together on Saturday. Yes, it helps with accountability and motivation, but the best part about this is that you meet new people and get to have brunch afterwards. Joining a running/fitness club can be more than just fitness!

5) Set goals! It doesn't have to be running a marathon, even just a number of workouts per week or per month can be really motivational. Before I started marathon training I would give myself a monthly workout goal, and then every time I hit it I would buy myself a little treat. No, not a food treat! Something unnecessary that I really wanted and made me feel nice, like a new Wonder Woman comic, a dress, or something nice for my apartment. Patting yourself on the back is encouraged when you meet these goals. Well done, you!

6) Play leap frog! This is a little trick I use when I'm running and I want to quit way before my stopping point. I set a really close primary goal, one that I can practically see, and a slightly further off secondary goal. I tell myself I really can quit when I get to the secondary goal. But when I meet my primary goal I set a new goal, a little ways past the secondary goal. See where this is going? Then I leap frog my goals, always having one just out of reach, until I finish my workout. I'm tricksy! 

7) Workout for a charity! Whether it's a clothing or food drive for your local shelter, a walk-a-thon, or running a marathon for charity, this one feels really amazing. It ties back into accountability, but is sort of like patting yourself on the back at the same time. I know I am running for people other than just myself. I am working really hard to bring water, something that many of us Americans take for granted, to people who need it. Any action like this will exponentially increase your feelings of success about a workout program. (Remember, go to my "Pages" section and click on the link to donate!)

8) Get inspired! At our group run this week one of the team leaders who had just been to Africa to see the work World Vision was doing told some stories about his experiences. They had installed a rain filtration system to catch and clean rainfall at a school, and attendance doubled. These students no longer had to spend time during the day to get water, or worry about bringing it from home. They were able to focus on education, which is another thing I take for granted. This story really touched and inspired me. It motivated me to work harder, but was lovely to hear about people who wanted to learn when given the opportunity.

There you go folks! These work really well for me, I hope you'll try them. Feeling inspired or have your own tips and tricks? Share them in the comment section! Let's have a tip swap!

No comments:

Post a Comment