Monday, June 10, 2013

The "Post Pre-Training" Post

Well folks, I ended pre-training as I began it. In the rain. The cold, horrible, wet rain. But it was neat to see myself dive out there and run (that's right, run) a 5k. Technically I did a little extra. 3.4 miles with no stopping, no walking, no slowing down. (Ok... maybe some slowing down.) I am immensely proud of myself. Here is what this experience showed me:

1) It's almost 2 months later, and I'm still running! How bout that!
2) I ran 3.1 miles in 30.33 minutes. Based on this time I am projected to finish the marathon in 4 hours 47 minutes - 5 hours 6 minutes. (That's a goal race pace of roughly an 11 minute mile.)
3) I should train in the 12 minute mile pace group for group runs.
4) Um, I freaking DID it!

Here's what I'm really proud of: the pace group suggested is the first group on the list that does not run intervals. I am incredibly proud of that. I did just start running, after all. I ran the whole thing, and I ran my 3 miles today. And I will only get better at this. We do 5k "test runs" throughout training to check in and calculate our progress. I feel I started very well, and can't wait to see my improvement next time.

Here's what I'm discouraged about: 4 hours 47 minutes to 5 hours 6 minutes. I have to run for five hours. I mean... I don't think I can. When I think about running a marathon I think "yeah, I can do that!" When I think about running for FIVE HOURS!? No way. Absolutely not. Impossible. 

I'm trying to remind myself that first of all, they told us to run all out as fast as we could for the 5k. Since this was my first time running without intervals, I did not do that. I took my normal pace to make sure I didn't burn out. I know I could have done it faster. 

In addition, I still have five more months of training. My test runs will improve. My endurance will improve. My everything will improve. Which means my goal pace and projected time should both get smaller. So maybe (please oh please) it won't be five hours of running. 

A couple of lovely things happened this week to keep me going. I finally ran far enough south (and east) on the lake shore trail to see this view:

No, not the guy fishing! The downtown skyscrapers and Navy Pier on the far left!

I know that the perfect blueness of the sky and water have been washed out (seriously, iPod Touch, it looks like it's been instagrammed already. What gives?), and the buildings look much smaller in the photo than they did in real life (just like mountains, you can never quite capture them right) but this was pretty impressive. It was my first view of downtown as a runner. The view all the athletes in films about Chicago see as they stride gloriously in all types of weather. This view, combined with a trip back home to Nebraska where I ran in gorgeous weather (except for 5k day) made this week an enjoyable running week.

I would also like to say Happy Birthday to my Mom. Thank you for raising me, birthing me, letting me visit and all that stuff, but guys, she followed Gabby's lead! She donated her birthday money to my fund as well, claiming both miles 5 and 6 (seems like a good time to get a boost from your mom). Thanks Mom! You're the best! I'm starting to feel on a roll with this fundraising, as we've already helped six people get fresh clean water for their whole lives. Thank you all for your help and support. Let's keep the ball rolling and the water flowing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment